Protecting your Alcantara/Microsuede
Now that the trim is all clean, we strongly recommend that you protect it. You do this to stop the chance of it staining as well as making it easier to clean next time round. We have developed a safe and water based fabric protection coating called Fabratection just for this job. Most fabric protectants are solvent based which are not compatible and can permanently wreck with the look and feel of the microfibre material used in Alcantara and Microsuede.
- It's important that the surface is totally clean (which you should have just done in the above steps) and dry, so the Fabratection can bond into the fibres.
- Make sure the day is going to be dry and warm (never do it on a rainy day), also work in a well ventilated area with the car doors open.
- Using a Plush Brush or similar soft bristled detailing brush, brush all of the fabric fibres in one direction and then mist a light and even coat of Fabratection directly onto the surface in a sweeping motion.
- DO NOT oversaturate the fabric surface, a light mist is all that's needed. If you do apply too much it can affect the look and feel of the fabric.
Your Next Step:
- Wipe off any overspray off surrounding areas with a damp microfibre cloth before it can dry. Be careful not to touch the trim that you coated with Fabratection when doing this.
- Leave to sit for 20 minutes for the Fabratection to start bonding with the fibres.
- Put the damp cloth in a bucket of water in this time as well.
- After 20 mins, use the Plush Brush to push the fibres in the opposite direction and mist another light coat of Fabratection on.
- Wipe away any excess overspray, again being sure to not touch the sprayed trim.
- Then wash this cloth straight away after either by hand, or machine using our Microfibre Wash. If you do not it will no longer be able to absorb liquids.
- Do not disturb or sit on the material for 5 to 6 hours.
- It will take 24 to 48 hours to cure, do not let it get wet in this time period.
Once this is done, you will have a nicely protected fabric finish, that will still feel and look as it was before. this should be reapplied in higher wear areas every 6 months and yearly on other surfaces.